Jennifer Laseman, Head of Teen Services
Best Resources for Educational Support and Social-Emotional Learning.
School is well underway now and the stress of homework and social issues are hitting our tweens and teens hard. Here are a couple of book series and learning resources we recommend to support your teen's educational and social-emotional learning.
Find school subject matter broken down in an appealing and understandable format in
The Big Fat Notebook Series.
Here is a sample from this popular series:
- Everything You Need to Ace Geometry in One Big Fat Notebook by Christy Needham
- Everything You Need to Ace Chemistry in One Big Fat Notebook by Jennifer Swanson
- Everything You Need to Ace Computer Science and Coding in One Big Fat Notebook by Grant Smith
- Everything You Need to Ace Science in One Big Fat Notebook by Michael Geisen,
- Everything You Need to Ace Math in One Big Fat Notebook by Altair Peterson
Residents of Fairfield who have a library card also get free access to Tutor.com.
Tutor.com offers live, one-to-one tutoring, a real-time writing center, worksheets, and video tutorials on just about every academic subject.
Access it from our Learning and Research tab on the homepage and you will find worksheets, learning games, and more for Pre-k through 8th grade. This resource covers math, science,
reading comprehension, STEM, writing and more.
And, to support your teen's social learning and help you understand some tough topics the
book series Instant Help Solutions is a fantastic resource.
Here's a selection of books from this supportive series:
- Overcoming Suicidal Thoughts for Teens by Jeremy Pettit & Ryan Hill
- Getting Comfortable with Uncertainty for Teens by Juliana Negreiros & Martinez, Katherine
- The Stress Survival Guide for Teens by Jeffrey Bernstein
- How to Like Yourself by Cheryl Bradshaw
- Mindfulness for Teen Worry by Jeffrey Bernstein