New York Times Hardcover Nonfiction Bestsellers
September 3, 2017
1. Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
Neil deGrasse Tyson
A straightforward, easy-to-understand introduction to the universe.
2. Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis
A Yale Law School graduate looks at the struggles of America's white working class through his own childhood.
2. Al Franken, Giant of the Senate
A memoir by the Democratic senator from Minnesota and former
Saturday Night Live
4. Devil's Bargain: Steve Bannon, Donald Trump, and the Storming of the Presidency
A deeply reported account of the relationship between Donald Trump and his strategist, Steve Bannon.
5. Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy
Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant
Insight on facing adversity and building resilience.
6. Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment
Neuroscience and psychology findings are used to support Buddhist practice and meditation.
7. The Big Lie: Exposing the Nazi Roots of the American Left
The conservative commentator argues that the American left is a fascist threat.
8. Hail to the Chin: Further Confessions of a B Movie Actor
Bruce Campbell with Craig Sanborn
The self-described B-movie actor evaluates his quality of life, moves to Oregon and enjoys further adventures.
9. Between the World and Me
A meditation on race in America.
10. Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
The story of a murder spree in 1920s Oklahoma that targeted Osage Indians, whose lands contained oil.
11. Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance
A psychologist says passion and perseverance are the keys to success.
12. Rediscovering Americanism: And the Tranny of Progressivism
Mark R. Levin
The radio host argues that the founding fathers would be shocked by the expansion of modern government.
13. Science in the Soul: Selected Writings of a Passionate Rationalist
A collection of annotated essays by the evolutionary biologist in defense of science, reason and empirical evidence.
14. The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World
the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu with Douglas Abrams
Two spiritual leaders discuss how to find joy in the face of suffering.
15. When Breath Becomes Air
A memoir by a physician who received a diagnosis of Stage IV lung cancer at the age of 36.
© 2017 All rights reserved by New York Times Syndication Sales Corp. This material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.
A version of this list appears in the September 3, 2017 issue of The New York Times Book Review. Rankings reflect sales for the week ending August 19, 2017.
Mid-Hudson Library System
103 Market Street
Poughkeepsie, New York 12601