New York Times Hardcover Nonfiction Bestsellers
June 3, 2018
1. How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence
A personal account of how psychedelics might help the mentally ill and people dealing with everyday challenges.
2. The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels
The Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer contextualizes the present political climate through the lens of difficult moments in American history.
3. A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership
The former F.B.I. director recounts cases and personal events that shaped his outlook on justice, and analyzes the leadership styles of three presidents.
4. Barracoon: The Story of the Last "Black Cargo"
Zora Neale Hurston
A previously unpublished, first-person account of Cudjo Lewis, a man who was transported and enslaved 50 years after the slave trade was banned.
5. Three Days in Moscow: Ronald Reagan and the Fall of the Soviet Empire
Bret Baier and Catherine Whitney
The Fox News anchor describes Ronald Reagan's 1988 visit to the Soviet capital.
6. I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer
The late true-crime journalist's search for the serial murderer and rapist known as "the Golden State Killer."
New York Times
journalist details the career and struggles of the actor and comedian Robin Williams.
8. Educated: A Memoir
The daughter of survivalists, who is kept out of school, educates herself enough to leave home for university.
9. War on Peace: The End of Diplomacy and the Decline of American Influence
The Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist chronicles the deterioration of American diplomacy.
10. I Love Capitalism! An American Story
A memoir by a co-founder of Home Depot and a former director of the New York Stock Exchange.
11. Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
Neil deGrasse Tyson
A straightforward, easy-to-understand introduction to the universe.
12. Measure What Matters: How Google, Bono, and the Gates Foundation Rock the World with OKRs
How a goal-setting system helped large tech companies succeed.
13. Fascism: A Warning
Madeleine Albright with Bill Woodward
The former secretary of state examines the legacy of fascism in the 20th century and its potential revival.
14. Letters to My Palestinian Neighbor
Yossi Klein Halevi
The Israeli commentator addresses some ideological and emotional components of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
15. I'm Keith Hernandez
A memoir by the former first baseman who played with the St. Louis Cardinals and the New York Mets.
© 2018 All rights reserved by New York Times Syndication Sales Corp. This material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.
A version of this list appears in the June 3, 2018 issue of The New York Times Book Review. Rankings reflect sales for the week ending May 19, 2018.
Chapel Hill Public Library
100 Library Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 27514