New York Times
Hardcover Nonfiction Bestsellers
October 1, 2023
1. Elon Musk
The author of
The Code Breaker
traces Musk's life and summarizes his work on electric vehicles, private space exploration and artificial intelligence.
2. Counting the Cost
Jill Duggar with Derick Dillard and Craig Borlase
A behind-the-scenes account of the reality TV series
19 Kids and Counting
and a portrayal of life inside the Duggar family.
3. Outlive: The Science & Art of Longevity
Peter Attia with Bill Gifford
A look at recent scientific research on aging and longevity.
4. To Infinity and Beyond: A Journey of Cosmic Discovery
Neil deGrasse Tyson and Lindsey Nyx Walker
Science and pop culture intertwine in this exploration of the cosmos, which includes parallel worlds and time travel.
5. Scattershot: Life, Music, Elton, and Me
A memoir by the lyricist best known for his collaborations with Elton John.
6. Punished for Dreaming: How School Reform Harms Black Children and How We Heal
Bettina L. Love
A professor at Teachers College, Columbia University, looks at the impact of some public-school policies on Black children over the last four decades.
7. The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder
The survivors of a shipwrecked British vessel on a secret mission during an imperial war with Spain have different accounts of events.
8. Doppelganger: A Trip into the Mirror World
The author of
No Is Not Enough
explores the mirror-worlds of online paranoia and conspiracy theories in a divided culture.
9. I'm Glad My Mom Died
The actress and filmmaker describes her eating disorders and difficult relationship with her mother.
10. Tyranny of the Minority: Why American Democracy Reached the Breaking Point
Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt
The authors of
How Democracies Die
examine an authoritarian backlash happening in America.
11. The Coming Wave: Technology, Power, and the 21st Century's Greatest Dilemma
Mustafa Suleyman with Michael Bhaskar
A co-founder of the A.I. company DeepMind posits how new technology might affect the global order and our daily lives.
12. Why We Love Baseball: A History in 50 Moments
The author of
The Baseball 100
brings to life 50 moments in baseball's history.
13. Glossy: Ambition, Beauty, and the Inside Story of Emily Weiss's Glossier
A tell-all about the beauty startup Glossier and its founder, Emily Weiss.
14. Necessary Trouble: Growing Up at Midcentury
Drew Gilpin Faust
The former Harvard president and author of
This Republic of Suffering
describes the misogyny and racism that compelled her to become a historian.
15. The Last Politician: Inside Joe Biden's White House and the Struggle for America's Future
A staff writer at
portrays the first two years of the Biden presidency, with a focus on Biden's use of deal-making and compromise.
©2023 All rights reserved by New York Times Syndication Sales Corp. This material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.
A version of this list appears in the October 1, 2023 issue of The New York Times Book Review. Rankings reflect sales for the week ending September 16, 2023.