New York Times Hardcover Nonfiction Bestsellers
October 15, 2017
1. Killing England: The Brutal Struggle for American Independence
Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard
Major events and battles during the Revolutionary War are told from the perspectives of George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and others.
2. What Happened
Hillary Rodham Clinton
The first woman nominated for president by a major political party details her campaign, mistakes she made, outside forces that affected the outcome and how she recovered in its aftermath.
3. Unbelievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History
The NBC News correspondent describes her work covering the 2016 campaign of the Republican nominee for president and his behavior toward her.
4. Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
Neil deGrasse Tyson
A straightforward, easy-to-understand introduction to the universe.
5. Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
Satya Nadella with Greg Shaw and Jill Tracie Nichols
Microsoft’s chief executive discusses changes at the company, advancements in technology and the importance of empathy.
6. The Autobiography of Gucci Mane
Gucci Mane with Neil Martinez-Belkin
A memoir by the East Atlanta hip-hop artist, who made a comeback.
7. The Paradigm: The Ancient Blueprint that holds the Mystery of Our Times
Ancient figures from the Middle East are used to explain the rise and fall of contemporary leaders and events.
8. Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis
A Yale Law School graduate looks at the struggles of America's white working class through his own childhood.
9. The Vietnam War: An Intimate History
Geoffrey C. Ward
A companion to the PBS series by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick that looks at the events and the legacy of the war.
10. Al Franken, Giant of the Senate
A memoir by the Democratic senator from Minnesota and former
Saturday Night Live
11. The Last Castle: The Epic Story of Love, Loss, and American Royalty in the Nation's Largest Home
The story of Biltmore House, the largest mansion ever built in the United States, and the Vanderbilt family members who lived there.
12. Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire: A 500-Year History
The politics and culture of 21st-century America are put in the context of five centuries of historical events and movements, including elements of conspiracy theories, crackpot ideas and hucksterism.
13. The Smear: How Shady Political Operatives and Fake News Control What You See, What You Think, and How You Vote
How political operatives, disinformation and media manipulation influence opinions and how people vote.
14. Thanks, Obama: My Hopey Changey White House Years
A comic memoir from a young presidential speechwriter, who served in the Obama White House.
15. Bunny Mellon: The Life of an American Style Legend
A biography of the style icon, art collector and American aristocrat.
© 2017 All rights reserved by New York Times Syndication Sales Corp. This material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.
A version of this list appears in the October 15, 2017 issue of The New York Times Book Review. Rankings reflect sales for the week ending September 30, 2017.
Muskegon Area District Library
4845 Airline Road, Suite 5
Muskegon, MI 49444