New York Times Hardcover Nonfiction Bestsellers
July 29, 2018
A collection of comedic stories on mortality, middle age and a beach house dubbed the Sea Section.
2. Educated: A Memoir
The daughter of survivalists leaves home for university.
3. The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels
The present political climate is contextualized through the lens of difficult moments in American history.
4. How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence
A personal account of how psychedelics might help the mentally ill and people dealing with everyday challenges.
5. Indianapolis: The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in U.S. Naval History and the Fifty-Year Fight to Exonerate an Innocent Man
Lynn Vincent and Sara Vladic
A newly researched look into the sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, the story of the survivors and the fight to exonerate the court-martialed skipper.
6. Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
Neil deGrasse Tyson
A straightforward, easy-to-understand introduction to the universe.
7. Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup
The rise and fall of the biotech startup Theranos.
8. The Plot to Destroy Democracy : How Putin and His Spies are Undermining America and Dismantling the West
The former U.S. intelligence officer describes the tools and techniques used by Vladimir Putin to affect the 2016 election.
9. Barracoon: The Story of the Last "Black Cargo"
Zora Neale Hurston
A previously unpublished, first-person account of a man who was enslaved 50 years after the slave trade was banned.
10. I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer
A search for the "Golden State Killer."
11. Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World--and Why Things Are Better Than You Think
Hans Rosling with Ola Rosling and Ana Rosling Ronnlund
A look at our biases and how the world is in a better state than we might think.
12. Trump's America: The Truth About Our Nation's Great Comeback
The former speaker of the House's views on the achievements of and obstacles facing the current administration.
13. The Case Against Impeaching Trump
Arguments from the noted lawyer and political commentator.
14. Fascism: A Warning
Madeleine Albright with Bill Woodward
The former secretary of state examines the legacy of fascism in the 20th century and its potential revival.
15. How Not to Get Shot: And Other Advice from White People
D. L. Hughley and Doug Moe
A satirical distillation of advice white people have given black people to survive everyday activities.
9© 2018 All rights reserved by New York Times Syndication Sales Corp. This material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.
A version of this list appears in the July 29, 2018 issue of The New York Times Book Review. Rankings reflect sales for the week ending July 14, 2018.
Muskegon Area District Library
4845 Airline Road, Suite 5
Muskegon, MI 49444