New York Times Hardcover Nonfiction Bestsellers
August 5, 2018
1. Liars, Leakers and Liberals
The legal analyst and Fox News host argues in favor of President Trump.
2. Educated: A Memoir
The daughter of survivalists leaves home for university.
A collection of comedic stories on mortality, middle age and a beach house dubbed the Sea Section.
4. The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels
The present political climate is contextualized through the lens of difficult moments in American history.
5. Indianapolis: The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in U.S. Naval History and the Fifty-Year Fight to Exonerate an Innocent Man
Lynn Vincent and Sara Vladic
A newly researched look into the sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, the story of the survivors and the fight to exonerate the court-martialed skipper.
6. How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence
A personal account of how psychedelics might help the mentally ill and people dealing with everyday challenges.
7. Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
Neil deGrasse Tyson
A straightforward, easy-to-understand introduction to the universe.
8. The Plot to Destroy Democracy : How Putin and His Spies are Undermining America and Dismantling the West
The former U.S. intelligence officer describes the tools and techniques used by Vladimir Putin to affect the 2016 election.
9. Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup
The rise and fall of the biotech startup Theranos.
10. The Death of Truth
The former New York Times chief book critic examines the cultural forces that have chipped away at reason and common values.
11. From the Corner of the Oval: A Memoir
A memoir by a woman who went from working many part-time jobs to becoming one of President Obama's stenographers.
12. Fascism: A Warning
Madeleine Albright with Bill Woodward
The former secretary of state examines the legacy of fascism in the 20th century and its potential revival.
13. From Cold War to Hot Peace: An American Ambassador in Putin’s Russia
The former U.S. Ambassador to Russia details how the Kremlin sought to discredit him after Putin's rise to power.
14. Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World--and Why Things Are Better Than You Think
Hans Rosling with Ola Rosling and Ana Rosling Ronnlund
A look at our biases and how the world is in a better state than we might think.
15. I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer
A search for the "Golden State Killer."
© 2018 All rights reserved by New York Times Syndication Sales Corp. This material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.
A version of this list appears in the August 5, 2018 issue of The New York Times Book Review. Rankings reflect sales for the week ending July 21, 2018.