New York Times
Hardcover Nonfiction Bestsellers
October 20, 2019
1. Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
The MSNBC host argues that the global oil and gas industry has weakened democracies and bolstered authoritarians.
2. The Book of Gutsy Women: Favorite Stories of Courage and Resilience
Hillary Rodham Clinton and Chelsea Clinton
Profiles of women from around the world who have blazed trails and challenged the status quo.
3. Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know About the People We Don't Know
Famous examples of miscommunication serve as the backdrop to explain potential conflicts and misunderstandings.
4. The United States of Trump: How the President Really Sees America
The conservative commentator weaves interviews and personal history to portray the power and influence of the 45th president.
5. Inside Out: A Memoir
The Hollywood star chronicles the rocky relationships, body image issues and public perceptions that affected her attempts to balance family and fame.
The daughter of survivalists, who is kept out of school, educates herself enough to leave home for university.
7. Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
Jonathan Van Ness
How the hairstylist, comedian and
star overcame ridicule and trauma.
8. Permanent Record
A memoir by the former National Security Agency contractor who exposed the government's mass surveillance program.
9. Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead
Jim Mattis and Bing West
The former Marine infantry officer and secretary of defense recounts key moments from his career and imparts his leadership philosophy.
10. Know My Name: A Memoir
A sexual assault victim reclaims her identity and challenges our culture and criminal justice system as they relate to this issue.
11. Face It
A memoir by the lead singer of Blondie and downtown New York City icon
The former first lady describes how she balanced work, family and her husband's political ascent.
13. Where Do I Begin?: Stories from a Life Lived Out Loud
The syndicated morning radio host recalls the highlights and mortifying moments of his career.
14. Exonerated: The Failed Takedown of President Donald Trump by the Swamp
The Fox News contributor and former Secret Service agent gives his take on the Mueller investigation.
15. The Education of an Idealist
The Pulitzer Prize-winning author's journey from being an immigrant to being an activist outsider to serving in President Obama's cabinet.
20© 2019 All rights reserved by New York Times Syndication Sales Corp. This material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.
A version of this list appears in the October 20, 2019 issue of The New York Times Book Review. Rankings reflect sales for the week ending October 5, 2019.