No Branding Selected
New York Times Hardcover Nonfiction Bestsellers
June 18, 2017
1. Al Franken, Giant of the Senate
A memoir by the Democratic senator from Minnesota and former
Saturday Night Live
writer and performer.
2. Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
Neil deGrasse Tyson
A straightforward, easy-to-understand introduction to the universe.
3. Theft by Finding: Diaries 1977-2002
Excerpts from the writer's diaries, 1977-2002.
4. Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy
Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant
Sandberg's experience after her husband's sudden death and Grant's psychological research combine to provide insight on facing adversity and building resilience.
5. Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis
A Yale Law School graduate looks at the struggles of America's white working class through his own childhood.
6. The American Spirit: Who We Are and What We Stand For
A collection of speeches by the Pulitzer Prize-winning historian, focused on American values.
7. The Vanishing American Adult: Our Coming-of-Age Crisis -- and How to Rebuild a Culture of Self-Reliance
The Nebraska Republican senator's advice on how to raise resilient, responsible children.
8. Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
The story of a murder spree in 1920s Oklahoma that targeted Osage Indians, whose lands contained oil. The fledgling F.B.I. intervened, ineffectively.
9. Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign
Jonathan Allen and Amie Parnes
An examination of Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign.
10. Born A Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood
A memoir about growing up biracial in apartheid South Africa by the comedian, now the host of
The Daily Show.
11. Churchill and Orwell: The Fight for Freedom
Thomas E. Ricks
A dual biography of two independent thinkers.
12. The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World
the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu with Douglas Abrams
Two spiritual leaders discuss how to find joy in the face of suffering.
13. The Operator: Firing the Shots That Killed Osama bin Laden and My Years as a SEAL Team Warrior
The 400-mission career of a SEAL Team operator.
14. Black Privilege: Opportunity Comes to Those Who Create It
Charlamagne Tha God
The radio personality presents his life story and offers advice for success.
15. Written Out of History: The Forgotten Founders Who Fought Big Government
Early Americans who warned against a central government, by the Republican senator from Utah.
© 2017 All rights reserved by New York Times Syndication Sales Corp. This material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.
A version of this list appears in the June 18, 2017 issue of The New York Times Book Review. Rankings reflect sales for the week ending June 3, 2017.
No Branding Selected