New York Times Hardcover Nonfiction Bestsellers
August 20, 2017
1. Al Franken, Giant of the Senate
A memoir by the Democratic senator from Minnesota and former
Saturday Night Live
writer and performer.
2. Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
Neil deGrasse Tyson
A straightforward, easy-to-understand introduction to the universe.
3. Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis
A Yale Law School graduate looks at the struggles of America's white working class through his own childhood.
Conscience of a Conservative
The Arizona senator defends traditional conservative values, says the movement has lost its way and calls for a return to principle.
5. Devil's Bargain: Steve Bannon, Donald Trump, and the Storming of the Presidency
A deeply reported account of the relationship between Donald Trump and his chief strategist, Steve Bannon.
6. Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy
Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant
Insight on facing adversity and building resilience.
7. The Big Lie: Exposing the Nazi Roots of the American Left
The conservative commentator argues that the American left is a fascist threat.
8. Rediscovering Americanism: And the Tyranny of Progressivism
Mark R. Levin
The radio host argues that the founding fathers would be shocked by the expansion of modern government.
9. Understanding Trump
The former House speaker explains the president's philosophy and political agenda.
10. Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
The story of a murder spree in 1920s Oklahoma that targeted Osage Indians, whose lands contained oil.
11. Between the World and Me
A meditation on race in America.
12. When Breath Becomes Air
A memoir by a physician who received a diagnosis of Stage IV lung cancer at the age of 36.
The alt-right provocateur criticizes political correctness.
14. Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance
A psychologist says passion and perseverance are the keys to success.
15. I Can't Make This Up: Life Lessons
Kevin Hart with Neil Strauss
The comedian's personal and professional life.
© 2017 All rights reserved by New York Times Syndication Sales Corp. This material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.
A version of this list appears in the August 20, 2017 issue of The New York Times Book Review. Rankings reflect sales for the week ending August 5, 2017.
Washington County Cooperative Library Services
Hillsboro, Oregon 97124 ●