New York Times Hardcover Nonfiction Bestsellers
October 1, 2017
1. What Happened
Hillary Rodham Clinton
The first woman nominated for president by a major political party details her campaign, mistakes she made, outside forces that affected the outcome and how she recovered in its aftermath.
2. Unbelievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History
The NBC News correspondent describes her work covering the 2016 campaign of the Republican nominee for president and his behavior toward her.
3. Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
Neil deGrasse Tyson
A straightforward, easy-to-understand introduction to the universe.
4. Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis
A Yale Law School graduate looks at the struggles of America's white working class through his own childhood
5. Al Franken, Giant of the Senate
A memoir by the Democratic senator from Minnesota and former
Saturday Night Live
6. Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire: A 500-year History
The politics and culture of 21st-century America are put in the context of five centuries of historical events and movements, including elements of conspiracy theories, crackpot ideas and hucksterism.
7. Unstoppable: My Life So Far
Maria Sharapova with Rich Cohen
A memoir by the Russian-American Grand Slam tennis champion and Olympic medalist.
8. Why Buddhism Is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment
Neuroscience and psychology findings are used to support Buddhist practice and meditation.
9. Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy
Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant
Insight on facing adversity and building resilience.
10. Between the World and Me
A meditation on race in America.
11. The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World
the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu with Douglas Abrams
Two spiritual leaders discuss how to find joy in the face of suffering.
12. Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
The story of a murder spree in 1920s Oklahoma that targeted Osage Indians, whose lands contained oil.
13. The Vietnam War: An Intimate History
Geoffrey C. Ward
A companion to the PBS series by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick that looks at the events and the legacy of the war.
14. Born A Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood
A memoir about growing up biracial in apartheid South Africa by the comedian, now the host of
The Daily Show.
15. Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance
A psychologist says passion and perseverance are the keys to success.
© 2017 All rights reserved by New York Times Syndication Sales Corp. This material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.
A version of this list appears in the October 1, 2017 issue of The New York Times Book Review. Rankings reflect sales for the week ending September 16, 2017.
Washington County Cooperative Library Services
Hillsboro, Oregon 97124 ●